Issues in EFL in Japan (Not currently being updated)

My name in James Hall and I teach an English Teaching Methodologies class for aspiring English teachers and advising 5 senior students (one is in the USA). This blog is will be used as a forum to discuss issued in EFL in Japan. This blog will also serve as a portal to the learners' blogs as I will periodically summarize the hot topics appearing in the learners' blogs. Please come join us!

Friday, April 28, 2006

Tasks 1 & 2: Talking about and Analyzing Our Language Learning Experiences

Last week I asked students to write a post titled "How I learned English" where they briefly summarized their English learning experiences. A lot of students such as Napoti mentioned that the NHK English lessons were instrumental in their learning English. Pinch Hitter, whose dream always changes, writes that listening to CDs has been instrumental in his language learning. Fantasista talks about his junior high school and high school learning experience in a little depth.
This week I have asked students to analyze their learning experiences (See the assignment blog). First, I asked students to download and fill out the following questionnaire (Pennington, 1990, p.136) asking them about their language learning experiences. Then I asked them to answer the following questions on a new post titled "An Analysis of My Language Learning Experience":
1. My most enjoyable language learning experience has been….
2. My least enjoyable language learning activity has been …
3. My most valuable language learning activity has been …
4. My least valuable language learning activity has been ....
5. In general my language learning experience has been ....
6. What kind of influence do you think your language learning experience will have on your teaching?

Some students such as Happy Days have already written a post. I asked students to write their posts by May 9. Right now in Japan we are about to enter Golden Week which means that we will have no classes between May 3 and May 7. Yeah!

Source
Pennington, M.C. (1990). A professional development focus for the language teaching practicum. In Richards, J.C and D. Nunan. (Eds.), Second Language Teacher Education (pp.132-151). Cambridge, UK:Cambridge University Press.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home